[ale] new MFP Printer needed

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon May 3 14:37:43 EDT 2010

fax-modems are _still_ produced! Externals are more expensive and have
hardware modems while most internal ones have software DSP's (winmodems).
The kernel knows how to use almost all that are still made.

You will also need software to control it all. The basic is mgetty/faxgetty.
Hylafax is pretty easy. http://www.aboutdebian.com/fax.htm  (adjust to suit
your Fedora system).

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Sean Kilpatrick <kilpatms at speakeasy.net>wrote:

> related note:
> I have lost opportunities for bargain sales at least a dozen times
> over the past two months because I couldn't receive a fax -- or
> send one back.
>
> This is a FC 11 (soon to be FC12) box. What do I need to send/receive
> faxes?  Hardware? Software?
>
> Are fax-modems stlll made? I haven't owned one in probably 15 years.
>
> Sean

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits