[ale] cabling and GA

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 31 10:08:46 EDT 2010

From: "Michael B. Trausch" <mike at trausch.us>
> The other problem, which I honestly run into *far* more frequently, is
> that some credentialed asshat who actually knows nothing (or, I should
> say, as close to nothing as is observable in their highly-paid work
> environments) is getting a hell of a lot of money to sit there and look
> fugly, while I clean up their stupid messes.  Or teaches people, or
> whatever.
>
> Note before reading any further that I am not saying that every person
> who is certified in something is an idiot, or is ignorant.  But nearly
> everyone I have encountered who _prominently_ asserts their
> certifications seems to fall into that category.  "Can you fix this?"
> "I'm MCSE certified! *stupidshiteatinggrin*"  Uh, sure.  That had
> nothing to do with my question, just fscking fix it.
>
> I know a person who carries MCSE, MCDST, and MCSA certifications, and
> doesn't seem to even know how to keep their network running.  They get
> very confused when things don't work as a result of being configured
> incorrectly.  When they have a problem that they can't solve with a 35
> second query to Bing, they call me, and I come in, and I look at the
> system logs for their blasted Windows server and start logging network
> traffic to find the problem and track it down, or whatever.  I know
> other people who have only one of those (most often, it seems, MCSE, but
> there are some who have MCSA) and know just as much nothing as the
> person that I know who has all three.  Offensive!

Yeah, these are people who use "incantations". If the magic words they know
don't work, they're helpless. They might know what buttons to click or what
to type to make something work but they don't know why. And if clicking the
button doesn't work, they're stuck.

This is why its better to be called a hacker than a wizard.