[ale] cabling and GA

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 15:23:51 EDT 2010

To run data or phone wire requires a low-voltage installers license which is
a subset of the electrical license. That also applies to fiber.

The electrical installers pushed that onto the code around 1990 in Ga. They
were grandfathered in and thus got the license "by default". The license
requires a test and a letter of recommendation from a licensed installer
that you have worked for a minimum of 12 months. So even if you were
installing data/phone cable only prior to the license-required date, unless
you were a licensed electrician company you were squeezed out as no existing
company would write the letter unless you worked for them. They all suddenly
required an apprentice process that was 2-3 years long before they would put
you in the position that would let you get the recommendation.

So I quit "running a quick cat5 cable" in 2001 as it just was too
complicated.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Damon L. Chesser <damon at damtek.com> wrote:

> Got a phone call for someone looking to cable networks.  Needs a secret
> clearance, I don't have one.  However, I realized I don't know GA law,
> not being native.  Do you need anything to run cat5 in GA?  You don't in
> OK, where I am most recently from.
>
> --
> Damon L. Chesser
> damon at damtek.com