[ale] Samba shared printer mystery

PairOfTwins PairOfTwins at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 30 13:35:22 EDT 2010

All:

I've set up samba on a recent Ubuntu/Mint system to share the HP DeskJet
F4180, which works fine from the desktop with any of 3 printer drivers.

However, printing a web page to this shared printer from WinXP prints
only PART of the content.  First try with f4100 driver it printed color,
with no black at all.  Switching to another similar driver or f4200
driver produced the same result.  Printing a check, all that prints is
the signature (an image), with all the text missing.

Looking at the access log, I see dozens of messages ending with
"successful - ok", and the error log only shows some "authorization"
problems, which I think were caused by replacing the driver as the
user.  My last driver change was done using "sudo" and no message
appeared, but the printing was just as bad.  Was unable to find a place
to change the error level in /etc/cups.

WinXP is using the official HP driver, and printing via USB cable works
just fine.  The cups driver is hplip 2.8.7 and foomatic.  OpenPrinting
says this printer "works mostly" and uses "Lightweight Imaging Device
Interface Language" - LIDIL.

Any suggestion is welcomed.

Tom