[ale] OT but IT related question regarding certifications

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Sun Mar 28 17:08:46 EDT 2010

Well, it depends.  It depends on who you talk to as far as employers and
where you get the education.

I was a tech instructor at New Horizons of Washington DC from 2004-06
and taught A+, Net+ and ICND and can give you these words of advice...

1.  Network+ is like a typing test.  Nothing much to it (you don't even
    have to do subnetting as I saw.
2.  Larger companies will like certs (especially those stuck with doing
    hiring who are non-technical).
3.  Beware of technical schools as often times they have total noobs
    teaching the classes -- newly certified instructors w/little or no
    real-world experience.
4.  Certs CAN make a difference in getting the job but are NOT the only
    thing that employers want (especially in this economy)

Case-in-point...in 2004 I applied for a position with XM Satellite Radio
in Washington DC as a tech in the Broadcast Technical Support shop.
They flattly passed me over.  At that time I was MCP/MCP+I/MCSE
*whatever*.  I get the chance to teach and decide that's a good way to
go to *really* learn the material and do exactly that.  I also take the
A+ tests and Net+ as well as CCNA.

In 2006 I applied again at XM and get swallowed-up fast and part of that
due to my A+/Net+ certs.  The first time around they didn't need a MCSE,
the second time around they wanted the full-meal deal.  I've been doing
tech since 1995 and have been messing with computers since 1979 and
working with computers since 1985.  I'm farthest from knowing
*everything* and have much to learn but certs don't hurt at all.  BUT
they don't replace good ole' fashioned EXPERIENCE!  Get that at all
costs and be ready to do a lot of networking (especially in this
market).

I'm getting ready to do Linux certs as well and will likely focus on
Redhat as well.  Agnostic certs are great but at some point you'll want
to make a decision on what direction you want to go.  Once hired your
employer will skew your education the way they want it to be and you go
on from there.

Hope that helps!  Not that I'm a know-it-all but that's been my
experience.