[ale] OT but IT related question regarding certifications

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Sun Mar 28 15:13:53 EDT 2010

Van Loggins wrote:
> I'm currently unemployed and looking into getting some new
> certifications to help me get a new job.
>
> I currently only have CompTIA A+ certification.
>
> I was thinking about getting CompTIA Linux+ or CompTIA Network+
> certifications.
>
> Are these worth getting or would there be a better certification for me
> to get.
>
> I don't have a lot of money to work with as my unemployment check only
> goes so far so I want to make sure whatever I get is worth getting and
> will help me get a new job soon.

Well,  it all depends on the person who views the certification.  There
is CompTIA Linux+ as well as LPI Level 1.  http://www.lpi.org/

Both IIRC require two tests and both are full of minutia.  I have both a
CompTIA Linux+ and an LPI Level 2 cert.  Most have heard of CompTIA,
most have not heard of LPI.  My last large employer recognized an LPI-2
being equal to that of MCSE or RHCE.  Which it is, but in Canada, you
can't say you are an engineer with out the correct educational
background (think of bridge building or dam construction):  Since LPI is
centered in Canada, they avoided that term.

Both the LPI-1 and Linux+ will show you have a basic understanding of
Linux, commands, and administration.  Only holding the LPI-1 will
prepare you for taking the LPI-2.  OTOH, most have no heard of LPI and
everybody as heard of Linux+.  In either case, you will take two tests
that covers hardware on one and administration on the other.  They are
full of minutia, I mean just full of it.  RPM switches, fuser, lsof,
netstat, etc etc.

If it was me, I think I would by pass the compTIA and go for the LPI,
but when I did the compTIA, there was no LPI.

It would be interesting to hear opinions of those people who review resumes.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon at damtek.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dchesser