[ale] nvidia news

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Sat Mar 27 09:05:06 EDT 2010

On Sat March 27 2010, Richard Faulkner wrote:
> Based upon what I'm seeing today, random screen corruption, driver
> integration and support issues; I'm not too hot on Nvidia anymore.  I
> know ATI didn't have the best track record for Linux which is part of
> the reason why I was looking to SuSE and Nvidia combination.  Too bad I
> came to not prefer SuSE (9.10 is something that I'm happiest with so
> far).
>
> I'm still tinkering with this over the weekend and am about to do some
> more testing before my onsite this PM.

I ran SUSE 9.x, 10.0, 10.1 on my Dell desktop. Then, one day, it crashed,
wouldn't boot ( yes, I have an NVIDIA card, no , it wasn't a video problem).
None of my SUSE Cds would work, all crashed & burned. Pulled out a Debian CD
I had, it installed just fine. Installed KDE, because my wife was used to it,
and I kept that. I run gnome, my wife uses KDE, and I install the NVIDIA
drivers using sgfxi -c . I've tried other methods, but nothing seems to work
as well as the sgfxi -c. The NVIDIA non-free driver has been a thorn in my
side since my first Dell desktop running SUSE. Debian hasn't been any better.
Does HP use ATI cards? maybe it is time for a change of hardware?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800