[ale] (no subject)

Brandon Checketts brandon at brandonchecketts.com
Fri Mar 26 09:55:15 EDT 2010

I missed and have deleted the original post, so this may be completely
irrelevant, but I spent several hours trying to get dual monitors working with
an nVidia card on Ubuntu 9.10 and learned a lot.  My conclusion was that
basically have two "drivers" that allow you to run two monitors: TwinView or
Xinerama

TwinView is the nVidia implimentation.  It essentially runs two separate
desktops and allows your mouse to move between them.  Each desktop has its own
toolbar. Since the desktops are separate, you can't drag a window from one to
the other.  Compiz desktop effects works with this.

Xinerama is the open source implementation.   It creates one big desktop so you
can drag windows between screens, and you only have a toolbar on just one
screen.  However nvidia+xinerama+compiz doesn't work, so you can't enable the
cool effects.

Hope that is helpful (and correct)

Thanks,
Brandon Checketts