[ale] (no subject)

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Thu Mar 25 21:54:14 EDT 2010

A couple of ALE meetings ago we all got in a discussion of potential
troubleshooting solutions for an aspect ratio issue I was having with my
once x64 XP box now 9.10 Karmic build.  The basic issue was that I could
not get 1680x1050 as a valid screen res.

I've resolved that issue through a "good" xorg.conf implementation but
still have one further issue that eludes me:  when trying to use the
Nvidia graphics tool I get the following error,

"You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver.  Please edit your X
configuration file (just run 'nvidia-xconfig' as root), and restart the
X server."

Okay then...that's simple enough.  But...if I issue the afore mentioned
command I can no longer boot my machine properly.  Instead of getting a
desktop the machine will loose signal to monitor which promptly goes
into a "loss-of-signal" state.  My HDD keeps cranking along so I have
every reason to believe that it is still "booting" (just a guess
though).

For soots and giggles here's the xorg.conf that PROPERLY boots (no other
changes made in the system)

**************************

# xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool,
using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades
*only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically
updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"kbd"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Driver		"wacom"
	Identifier	"stylus"
	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/wacom"
	Option		"Type"		"stylus"
	Option		"ForceDevice"	"ISDV4"		# Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Driver		"wacom"
	Identifier	"eraser"
	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/wacom"
	Option		"Type"		"eraser"
	Option		"ForceDevice"	"ISDV4"		# Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Driver		"wacom"
	Identifier	"cursor"
	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/wacom"
	Option		"Type"		"cursor"
	Option		"ForceDevice"	"ISDV4"		# Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"nVidia Corporation NV41 [GeForce 6800 GS]"
	Driver		"nv"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
	Option		"DPMS"
	HorizSync	28-84
	VertRefresh	43-60
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"nVidia Corporation NV41 [GeForce 6800 GS]"
	Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Modes		"1680x1050" "1360x850" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1280x800"
"1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
	Screen		"Default Screen"
	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"

# Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
#	InputDevice     "stylus"	"SendCoreEvents"
#	InputDevice     "cursor"	"SendCoreEvents"
#	InputDevice     "eraser"	"SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

*********************

Here's the xorg.conf that DOESN'T boot properly...

*********************

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	DefaultDepth	24
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Default Device"
	Driver	"nvidia"
	Option	"NoLogo"	"True"
EndSection

If you've made it this far down the page I thank you.  Here's the vital
stats on my box:  AMD X2 4800+/ASUS A8N/2GB/250G/1000G/dual XFX 6800 GS
(SLI).

I have made a start of digging into X documentation and anything that I
thought would be related to this issue but decided to fire this across
the maillist's "bow" as well.  As much as I want to learn all that I can
about admin and tech'ing of Linux I also have work to do and DON'T want
to have to resort to going back to "Bill".

Thank you for any and all input...