[ale] DVD ripping tools & distro of choice?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 16:33:03 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Scott Castaline <skotchman at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 03/23/2010 03:55 PM, Greg Clifton wrote:
> > Scott, I have heard that a light coat of mayonnaise and wipe down of the
> > disk can allow recovery of scratched DVDs (or at least CDs). Supposedly
> > the optical characteristics of the oil+egg yolk+vinegar is pretty
> > similar to the plastic of the CD.
> > GC
> >
> And if that don't work, I do have ham and swiss in the fridge,,,,
> But on a more serious note I seem to remember seeing that somewhere. I'm
> also thinking of getting one of those scratch removing machines like at
> Fry's or MicrCenter. Anyone use one of those or are they a waste of money?

Waste of $$ on the game disk my son tried it on. The scratch was on the
"data" side and only went into the clear covering and NOT into the bits
area. The gizmo slowly spun the disk while running a  fast buffer wheel
which basically replaced the entire shiny surface with a dull haze.

James P. Kinney III