[ale] Can a class-b space be sold? How much?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Mar 18 13:52:10 EDT 2010

On 03/18/2010 01:04 PM, Pat Regan wrote:
> On 03/18/2010 12:06 PM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>> >  I know that at least one environment that I worked in exhausted their
>> >  10.0.0.0/8 space, and that is why they have an additional /8 on their
>> >  own network for their own machines.  They just firewall the /8 normally.
> Tell them they should have segmented a little more carefully.  I'd be
> surprised to find any single organization approaching anywhere near 16
> million hosts:).

IP addresses are not just consumed by full computers.  Rather, not
everything is a "workstation" or a "server" that has an IP address.

I can tell you that there are at least two businesses that I know of
that have run low or out of 10.0.0.0/8 space: Comcast is one of them,
along with the other place I was talking about.

What I don't know is if there are any other businesses that have run
close to out or out of them.  But I'd wager a guess that you can
probably figure out who the other (massive) company I am talking about
is; they were out of 10.0.0.0/8 space even before they were gobbled up.

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                    ☎ (404) 492-6475