[ale] Do people still roll their own Linux desktops?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Mar 17 23:14:21 EDT 2010

On 03/17/2010 10:09 PM, Rich Faulkner wrote:
> I'm looking at CentOS for the new build and run VM's to replace
> Windows (until I get Netflix talking to Linux) and whatever else I
> want to run for a Linux desktop and development environment.

I've been trying to get the plugin to work under Wine with only a little
bit of success; there seem to be some pretty strange (and seemingly
undocumented---surprise, shock, horror!) APIs that are not yet
implemented by Wine that the Silverlight version of the CLR uses.  I
have had to temporarily shelve that for the past couple of weeks,
unfortunately, but I am hoping to return to it and get a chance to
figure out what those missing APIs are and do.  The downside is that I
will likely only be able to write the specification for the API
calls---someone else will very likely have to write the code to
implement them.

Assuming, that is, I get that far.  I am not terribly great at reversing
binary systems.  Why would I be?  I don't use that sort of software.

It actually occurs to me as I am writing this, that I am not even using
a proprietary graphics driver anymore.  The only proprietary thing that
I have left on this system---and the biggest CPU hog!---is Adobe's
Flash.  Too bad they don't care about us 64-bit desktop users.

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                    ☎ (404) 492-6475