[ale] Do people still roll their own Linux desktops?

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Mar 17 12:54:11 EDT 2010

AMD CPUs can be used for heavy and numerically/computationally intensive
tasks just fine.

--
Sent from my Android-powered device.

On Mar 17, 2010 10:53 AM, "Björn Gustafsson" <bg-ale at bjorng.net> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Greg Clifton <gccfof5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a 20+ year veteran "h...
True.  In my case I want to drive down both (1) and (2) enough that I
won't feel bad buying another system in a couple of years.

> Which CPU to use? Until the past year or so, AMD was better for general
> computing tasks, but In...
Since I don't do heavy-duty work at home, AMDs should be adequate to
my needs.  As long as my Java IDE is zippy and flash runs okay in my
browser I'm fine.

> Now, as to buying a built system vs. the do-it-yourself, if you buy a good
> name brand such as H...
> little money.   [big snip]    A couple

> of sites I use to check on deals are www.gotapex.com and www.dealnews.com
There are some awesome deals on those sites for laptops, I may have to
get one of those as well!

Thanks for all the info,
Björn