[ale] OT, mostly - remote access w/o internet

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Mon Mar 15 09:15:37 EDT 2010

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Neal Rhodes wrote:

> I'm pondering on this for a friend.     (really!)   He supports control
> systems for power plants.
>
> Power companies are adamant that their control systems will NEVER touch
> the internet.   I'm not sure I disagree with them; but it don't matter.

My answers for the 'Oh !@#! I need access' but not directly on the public
net all the time includes:

   - Cell Modem, For example: a USB one that they can plug into the server.
   - A physical 'net connection (Cable/DSL) that is plugged in
     just when he needs access.
   - Reverse SSH via UDP Tinnels. Possibly end user initiated.
   - A TCPIP based KVM plugged into the net when needed.
   - A support contract that specifies they provide him remote access
     or pay extra charges for the need to be on-site.
   - hard line, Modem, ISDN, or better. Really paranoid?
     Use one with hardware encryption for both ends and dial back.
     A quick google search found a couple still being made.

The costs of a commodity cell/internet connection are nothing compared to
travel time.