[ale] in house instant message solution

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 14:18:54 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:
> Jabber?
>
> On 3/11/10 2:03 PM, Geoffrey wrote:
>> Anyone know of an 'in house' instant message solution?  That is,
>> something that does not rely on yahoo, or aol or such providers?  Is
>> there such an application for Linux?
>>
>> Looking for a solution for a small company that can be managed internally.

Jabber is open source and again easy to use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabber

How to set up a Jabber server

http://librenix.com/?inode=6294

http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-openfire-and-spark-debian-etch

The reason, I like openfire, because you can set up the users, once a
person logs in they can see everyone, no need to add. iChat on Mac OS
X Server is that way.

openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.