[ale] OT: Apple developer agreement makes Microsoft look modest

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Mar 9 09:57:23 EST 2010

On 03/09/2010 08:56 AM, Geoffrey wrote:
> Last I checked, you can't tether a computer to an iPhone either even
> though the support is there.  It's not Apple, but AT&T who won't support
> it, because, as I understand it, they don't think their network would
> support the volume.

This is a fairly common occurrence.  T-Mobile also disallows PC
tethering to a phone.  This does not stop me from doing so when I
absolutely must for one reason or another; I just try to keep my usage
low and do it as little as possible.

Then again, with today's phones being handheld Linux boxes, it doesn't
take much to start transferring a lot of data over it.  Erica hit the 10
GiB soft-cap last month, by streaming Internet radio for something like
12 hours a day every day and not tethering at all.  And that's not even
with 128Kbps stations all the time; one of them is 64Kbps, if memory serves.

I've had occasion to tether my phone to my laptop probably once or twice
a month, and I have yet to hit 400 MiB of transfer on my phone's data
plan for any given month.  :-)

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                    ☎ (404) 492-6475