[ale] Neat code clip: cp progress bar

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Mar 5 12:46:28 EST 2010

On 03/05/2010 12:00 PM, Joey Rutledge wrote:
> This is really neat.  Typically when I am copying large files and I want
> to keep up with the progress I will use rsync with the --progress flag.
>   It's equally as awesome.

What I have done in the past is used pv as Brian just recently
mentioned.  I *love* that tool.  For example, to monitor the progress of
doing a bookended tar pipeline:

   tar -C /src -c . | pv | tar -C /dest -x

Or, if I know approximately how much data will be transferred in that
pipeline:

   tar -C /src -c . | pv -s 20g | tar -C /dest -x

So that it will give me an (very crude, rough estimate of) ETC.

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                    ☎ (404) 492-6475