[ale] Can I Use ...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Mar 2 12:59:37 EST 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 10:23 -0700, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> I tried with them about a year ago and they were making progress but
> still missing some
> polish for what I would call production use.  You had to convert the
> drives though to
> their format.  Virtual box though can import most VMware disk images and
> pick them up
> and go.

Actually, it doesn't even need to import them.  VirtualBox will use
VMware images natively.  You may have to clean up some odds and ends in
the image if you have the guest tools installed and install the
VirtualBox guest tools, but it should work.  I've done it and it's still
using the same image.

Now...  Xen, I just wouldn't even bother with.  If it's Windows on
Linux, you have to have Intel VT or AMD SVM chipsets anyways and you
might as well go with KVM.  If it's Linux on Linux, just drop the heavy
weight virtualization and go with OpenVZ or LXC (optionally through
libvirt which can control all of the above using virsh).