[ale] Trying to Install a Realtek NIC Driver on Fedora 13

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 07:29:05 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:

> On 06/29/2010 09:45 PM, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> > And that's where you fine folks come into play. The details of my issue
> > is on their site, but I don't think I understand how the Makefiles and
> > autorun.sh files play together. There seems to be a Makefile in the root
> > directory and another one in the "src" directory. The one in root is
> > being executed (I think), but it's not creating the 3 simple directories
> > it's supposed to create. The error I'm getting makes me believe that the
> > second Makefile isn't be executed at all. Can someone shed some light on
> > this issue? Thanks.
>
> A few things based on your comment on google code.
>
> First, the '-C' argument to 'make' means "change to this directory
> before looking for the makefile or anything else". Based on your comment
> on google code, I think you misunderstood this to mean "create a directory"
>
> Second, when you touch the ko file it goes away after you run autorun.sh
>  because 'make clean' completed successfully.
>
> Third, the ko file isn't created because 'make modules' failed.
>
> You my be saying "huh, make clean? make modules?" right about now, so
> lets walk through things.
>
> I've extracted the archive to ~/r8168-8.018.00.
>
> I see autorun.sh line 24 runs 'make all', which will run make using
> ~/r8168-8.018.00/Makefile.
>
> The 'all' target really makes three other targets. Each of these targets
> is simply a call to a target of another makefile, the one at
> ~/r8168-8.018.00/src/Makefile.
>
> In ~/r8168-8.018.00/src/Makefile you see the commands that are run for
> the 'clean' and 'install' targets. However, the 'modules' target runs
> make yet again with another makefile, /lib/modules/$(uname
> -r)/build/Makefile.
>
> Almost certainly Jim's answer earlier answer is the right one. I can
> build the module without any trouble. You could try switching to the src
> directory , running 'make modules', and seeing what errors you get.
>
> If you want to learn more about make, maybe this is a good starting place
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Introduction
>
> --
> All the best,
> Brian Pitts

Thanks fellas for the excellent suggestions. It's funny that "kernel-devel"
and "gcc" don't come preinstalled in the Live version. It probably would
have made this process a whole lot easier. Since I am working offline I'll
try and get the RPMs onto a USB key. My other box is Windows.

--
Marc Ferguson

Registered Linux User #410978
www.fergytech.com | www.digitalalias.net

"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"