[ale] LINUX, was Re: GO Windows!!! ;-)

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Mon Jun 28 11:53:00 EDT 2010

On Mon June 28 2010, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Heh, heh. Had to buy a new laptop for my daughter as the tiny screen and
> keyboard of the aspire one just wasn't cutting it. On my way out the door
> to MicroCenter, she blasts down the stairs to query me "It's not going to
> have that nasty windows crap on it, is it? Everytime I have use the school
> windows machines I feel like I'm working crippled".

my grand daughter just turned 2, and for her birthday she received a leaptop:
http://www.kazabee.com/html/schooltime__leaptop.html

my son programmed it already with custom sayings, etc.. really cute! I don't
think I can put linux on it... On his older desktop, that he doesn't use
much, he had Kubuntu 8.04 . I did a dist-upgrade to 9.04, then another to
9.10, then finally I did another to 10.4 ! The really bad news is, it has an
Intel 82845G video card, and when you change the xorg.conf file to say Intel,
it won't boot up. I tried running sgfxi, and it changed it back to the intel
driver, loaded some xorg-intel packages, but still won't boot. So he is stuck
with a nice Dell monitor, running VESA at 800X600. I really want him to USE
it, to get used to Linux, but that 800X600 is PAINFUL !! at least to ME!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800