[ale] Good think clients to use for house automation/kids/tv

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Mon Jun 28 00:47:52 EDT 2010

In that case, for what I gathered to be the intended purpose, I would be
willing to spend a bit more and get a modern video chipset.

If the intended use were more along the lines of email and word
processing, your suggestion would make a lot of sense.

Kids tend to use much more graphically intense applications whether it
be Tux Math or Youtube. Also, in LTSP 5, with good native drivers and
OpenGL, you get the joy of Compiz plus much better Flash and video frame
rates.

That's why I like using the Atom boards because of the onboard Intel
graphics that play nice with LTSP and decent CPUs that can run fanless.
And, if need be, you can run Firefox and other stuff locally.

Also, newer clients have USB 2 and many (mine) have SD card slots which
are handy for transferring photos, etc.

Lastly, I'm not sure that a single 10/100 port gets saturated but even
when running two clients, going to a gigabit switch between the clients
and the server made a measurable difference in video performance.

If price were the principle issue and video performance a distant
second, which may well be the case, the link you gave is a great
suggestion.

regards,
William