[ale] Good think clients to use for house automation/kids/tv

jrtroberts jrtroberts at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 17:21:50 EDT 2010

On 06/26/10 15:59, Brian Pitts wrote:
> On 06/26/2010 03:46 PM, jrtroberts wrote:
>
>>   > From looking at lmce (Linux Media Center Edition) I think that is
>> probably the best option.  From what I have seen it the most advanced HA
>> software system on the market at a fraction of the price.  That includes
>> windows and linux apps.
>>
>> I will continue to do some research and can post my findings here if
>> ALErs are interested.
>>
> Do some searches for "netvista", "netstation, "ibm 2800", and "ibm 8364"
> on ebay. Sometimes you can find these in bulk for pretty cheap.
>
> http://silicon-verl.de/home/flo/software/netstation-8364/

Ok, I will see if the manufacture what is needed to implement lmce.
 From speaking with some of the guys on freenode #linuxmce and reading
the manual this what they recommend for the 'Media Directors' that work
well with lcme.

http://lmcecompatible.com/#ecwid:category=280114&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal
<http://lmcecompatible.com/#ecwid:category=280114&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal>

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Media_Director_Newbie_Pack_Current_Components

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Category:Media_Directors

It is a bit more expensive, but they have all the digital inputs and
outputs needed to connect to modern tv's, home theaters, and
cable/satellite/HD antenna boxes.  They also integrate with lmce so that
you can use one remote to control every device in the house, or multiple
remotes (conceivably one for each room, or each person).  This primarily
because lmce usese myth tv as its media distribution manager.  So the
hardware has to fit those specifications.

I could try to build a system on my own outside of lmce, but it would
not have all the features that it provides.  And for personal use there
are no licensing fees to use the software, only if you are a reseller or
installer providing out of box ready to go systems.