[ale] [OT] A vent and whine - ignore with dignity

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Jun 21 09:51:28 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 07:26 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> I dumped Comcast (TV) because they were complete idiots.

Aye, most of them are.  However, business class people actually know
what networking is (gasp!) and know that if you call in and say "look, I
appear to have a routing issue, and here are the traceroutes..." they'll
say "oh, let's see that please!" instead of saying "Excuse me, but have
you checked to see that your coax is secure?  Because you know you won't
get to MSNBC (but you can get to Google!) if your coax isn't screwed in
or is disconnected."  GRRRRRR.

> I went with AT&T Uverse and I have been perfectly happy ever since.
>  I've dealt with both AT&T Uverse and AT&T DSL support, and I can
>  honestly say they are most definitely from different worlds.  The
> AT&T Uverse techs know their stuff.  The DSL folks must have been
> trained by Comcast, they're idiots.

The lower tiers of support are paid a low wage and aren't really
trained; they just read from virtual sheets in a database somewhere.
They don't know anything about TCP or UDP or IP or Ethernet, they don't
even know what a node or a head-end is most of the time.

The people over in business class actually are paid reasonably well and
are expected as a part of their job to know how the infrastructure they
support works.

	--- Mike