[ale] [OT] A vent and whine - ignore with dignity

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Mon Jun 21 07:42:44 EDT 2010

I have one site with ATT Uverse, and I will never recommend it again.
While the support people tried to be very helpful, the ATT support policies are absurd.

Their basic setup requires that the router have DHCP enabled if you use the TV part of the system to boot the set top box. I only had to to have ATT come out twice before someone thought to let me know this. It wasn't documented anywhere I could find.  I had to finally be told after the second time an ATT person came on site and reset the the router to defaults, breaking the internet.
The problem never showed up immediately, because it only uses DHCP when the box boots, which was days or weeks after configuring the router.

If you turn it off, The set top box stops working the next time you reset it.  If you want to talk to support about how to configure the box to support multiple public addresses assigned to the same MAC address (say for a firewall...) then you have to give them a credit card number to pay the $200 charge.

I had one support rep actually help me do this, and when I called back to get a clarification on particular item, I got his supervisor, who told me that the helpful support person would have to be written up for giving me unauthorized support.

Secondarily, for TV the MS software on the set top box is incredibly laggy compared to Comcast, and the number of shows available for reply and free movies provided is also minimal compared to the Comcast.

-jt

I don't use Comcast for internet, so I can't make that comparison, but ATT really wasted a lot of my time.

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

Jim Kinney wrote:
> I feel your frustration, brother. I can chop my bill down and up my
> bandwidth by jumping Speakeasy ship and going Comcast Business class. I
> can't bring myself to do it.

I dumped Comcast (TV) because they were complete idiots.

I went with AT&T Uverse and I have been perfectly happy ever since.
I've dealt with both AT&T Uverse and AT&T DSL support, and I can
honestly say they are most definitely from different worlds.  The AT&T
Uverse techs know their stuff.  The DSL folks must have been trained by
Comcast, they're idiots.

YMMV

--
Until later, Geoffrey