[ale] Ubuntu 10.04 doesn't like my laptop but 9.10 worked just fine on it?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 13:50:36 EDT 2010

<snark> I thought upgrading Ubuntu versions was totally painless?</snark>

try booting into runlevel 3 and not 5 (no X) and then you can launch x
manually and kill it with ctl-alt-bkspc and watch the errors. Aso check
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

sounds like the video driver is bad or the wrong one is loaded. or the
graphical boot is not unloaded before the real x starts.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Van Loggins <vanloggins at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Gateway M320 that I wanted to put Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on
>
> the problem is that something seems to have changed with Xorg in this
> version. for whatever reason the screen goes blank when it tries to
> start up x windows. I did a distribution upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 and
> everything seemed to go just fine. when it asked to reboot I let it.
>
> When it came back up it went to a black screen as soon as X started.
> Whatever is causing it is so bad that I can't even get a console to pop
> up by pressing ctrl-F1,ctrl-f2,etc.
>
> I downloaded the iso for 10.04 and tried to boot my laptop from it, and
> got the same problem, as soon as x starts it goes to a black screen.
>
> does anyone know a workaround for this issue?
>
> I'm going to download the alternate installer and try it next, but I'm
> not very hopeful at this point.
>

> --
> Van Loggins, A+
>
> 678-316-0136
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/vanloggins

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

 Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
   Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992