[ale] Ubuntu 10.04 doesn't like my laptop but 9.10 worked just fine on it?

Van Loggins vanloggins at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 12:50:39 EDT 2010

I have a Gateway M320 that I wanted to put Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on

the problem is that something seems to have changed with Xorg in this
version. for whatever reason the screen goes blank when it tries to
start up x windows. I did a distribution upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 and
everything seemed to go just fine. when it asked to reboot I let it.

When it came back up it went to a black screen as soon as X started.
Whatever is causing it is so bad that I can't even get a console to pop
up by pressing ctrl-F1,ctrl-f2,etc.

I downloaded the iso for 10.04 and tried to boot my laptop from it, and
got the same problem, as soon as x starts it goes to a black screen.

does anyone know a workaround for this issue?

I'm going to download the alternate installer and try it next, but I'm
not very hopeful at this point.

--
Van Loggins, A+

678-316-0136