[ale] Where to Start?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Jun 18 11:00:18 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 07:39 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Heh, heh. That's because the RHEL pro's were at work leaving the
> Unbunto pro-wanna-be's at the meeting :-)
>
> The Ubuntu Server is shaping up nicely as a package set. From a pro
> stand point handling a crapton of systems, the long life products are
> the ones that count, RHEL and the LTS versions of Ubuntu. Rapid fire
> system upgrades are a pile of work when every application running has
> to be recertified and all trainings docs rewritten to reflect the
> changes. What I've seen in the RHEL world probably holds true in the
> Ubuntu LTS world; baseline OS for new deployments changes about every
> 2 years or so. the longer term support means the old crap stays afloat
> longer when third party apps are deemed "mission critical" and the app
> provider has not delivered the ext version. Additionally, many, many
> third party apps are super expensive so doing an upgrade every two
> years is like taking three times the hardware and support and OS and
> power and cooling and tossing it all out the window all just to run on
> newer baseline OS. The bean counters hate that.

Well, I upgrade my Ubuntu servers every time a new LTS comes out, but if
I were running applications that made upgrading difficult then I could
easily continue to run the system for 5 years, which is the support
period for Ubuntu LTS server releases.

Since I have no such constraints, I just upgrade all my server systems
at the same time to the next LTS when the auto-upgrade becomes
available, and all is as it should be, and life goes on and I get
updated software that still works just as it should...

	--- Mike