[ale] LVM over LUKs after F 13 install

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sun Jun 13 14:53:30 EDT 2010

On 06/12/2010 10:02 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
> After a period of frustration I finally got F13 installed on a new drive
> as I decided to put my older 500GB into semi-retirement. It appears that
> there are issues with Gigabyte MoBos and the install DVDs not booting,
> but that's another story (Film at 11). Along with my original 500GB I
> had 2 1TB HDDs that contain my music and video files and each one was a
> seperate VG that used LUK encryption. When I finally got the install to
> start I had my new 640GB HDD for my 1st VG and of course the 2 1TB
> drives connected and the original 500GB disconnected. I did not notice
> any thing that would allow me to include the 2 drives with the 640GB as
> part of my system, at least not in a non-destructive way. As a result,
> now when I boot it only accesses the 640GB and the 2 1TB are not
> accessible. Anyone know how I can get these 2 drives back without
> blowing them off?

I don't know if you can have a single encrypted device that spans
multiple physical devices, unless you did the encryption on top of RAID.
I don't think you can use dm-crypt on top of a LVM VG, but I'd like to
be wrong.

You can easily access them once you're logged in to GNOME. Click on them
in the 'Places' menu and a dialog box will appear asking you for the
passphrase.

 From a terminal, you should be able to do something like

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb1 mydrive
mount /dev/mapper/mydrive /media/mydrive
umount /media/mydrive
cryptsetup luksClose mydrive

--
All the best,