[ale] Preferred mail client?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun Jun 13 08:10:11 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 17:28 -0400, Richard Faulkner wrote:
> I'm having some minor nagging issues with Evolution (2.28.3) and am
> looking for a potential replacement (if it comes to that).  I was
> wondering what are some of "your" preferred mail clients.  I have many
> years worth of email to import into the new client (all archived in M$
> OE formats) but that is another matter.  Mostly interested in
> recommendations for potential replacements to Evolution.
>
> Currently running (and planning on staying with) Fedora 12, Gnome
> desktop...

Minor nagging issues are at least minor.  I have used many different
mail clients and Evolution is the one that I keep coming back to; just
about every other mail client that I have used or tried to use in the
past several years is too buggy in one way or another.  For example, TB
likes to compose messages as HTML when I set it to plain text sometimes
(and sometimes the reverse) as if it gets confused; Claws would fail to
sign certain messages though I could never figure out why or how to
reproduce without giving up information that couldn't be included in a
bug report anyway; TB would fail to send mails in certain circumstances;
and Alpine, while wonderful, just doesn't let me get enough information
on the screen.

Evolution has much improved in the last four years since I've started
using it.  I've heard that Evo 2.30 is much better/improved over 2.28
and previous releases, though I have only (just) upgraded to a build of
it from a PPA, so we'll see what happens there.

Anyway, that's just my 2¢.  Every time I try something else, I wind up
finding my way back to Evolution---email is one of the very few things
that is so critical to have work right for me that everything else just
isn't really acceptable without me rolling up my sleeves and getting
into the code.  While I haven't looked at fixing bugs in Claws or Alpine
(its biggest shortfall being not supporting GnuPG out of the box or
having some form of plugin framework like other MUA software), I know
that I absolutely don't want to crawl through the Mozilla source tree,
and nothing is so wrong with Evolution that I feel like I have to get
into the code these days (there was a time when I needed to get into the
code for camel, I think it was called, but those bugs have long since
been fixed).

What are your specific gripes with Evo?

	--- Mike