[ale] OT: BSOD

C Hendry gchendry at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 11 10:06:18 EDT 2010

Sorry to
bring up the hated BSOD, but I'm a bit stumped.

History:
My kids
computer (Windose XP) had the antivirus (F-Prot) expire and got infected.
I updated
the antivirus and also ran Spy-Hunter. I cleaned all that was found, then
rebooted, got BSOD

Blue Screen says:

A problem has been detected
and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time
you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these
steps:
check for viruses on your
computer. remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controller.
check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated run
chkdsk /f to check for hard driver  corruption, and then restart your computer.

technical information:

***
STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF793B524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

What I have
done.

Booted from
a Windows XP CD, still got BSOD
Discounted
HD, booted from a Windows XP CD, still got BSOD
Booted from
Knoppix CD, booted up fine and worked great.
Restored
CMOS to factory default, booted with Win XP, still got BSOD
Removed
memory one module at a time as well as switched them around, booted from a
Windows XP CD, still got BSOD
Switched HD
(SATA II) port , still the same BSOD

Need some help
as to the next direction?
Note, swipes at not using Linux is to be expected :)

Thanks

Chris