[ale] chmod -R ?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 17:36:43 EDT 2010

Your regex explicitly stopped just inside Documents

chmod -R 755 Documents/*/*.txt

You will also need to chown those files before you chmod them. Non-owner
can't change perms.

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 5:22 PM, <jcpilman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently changed my work laptop over to UBUNTU, Yea! All of the .txt
> files I copied over from XP and put in ~/Documents have execute
> permission for the owner. To change that, I tried:
>
> ~$ chmod -R a-x Documents/*.txt
> ~/Documents$ chmod -R a-x *.txt
> ~/Documents$ chmod -R a-x ./*.txt
> ~/Documents$ chmod -R u-x ./*.txt
>
> It fixes the permissions for the files in Documents, but it does not
> recurse into the lower Directories.
> I looked at the man pages, but haven't figured it out.  I also made
> sure I am the owner with chown.  All the files I copied were
> originally:
>
> nobody:nogroup.
>
> chown recursed the way I expected it on the first try.
>
> Can you see what I'm doing wrong?
>
> ...John

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

 Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
   Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992