[ale] screen recorder with video for ubuntu

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Jun 8 12:00:48 EDT 2010

On 06/08/2010 11:22 AM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Anyone know of an app that can record the entire screen with audio in
> ubuntu and/or M$oft.

By record, I guess you're looking for video?

I've had the most success with gtk-recordmydesktop. Stay away from
Istanbul, it looks nice but often crashed for me when it's time to save
the video. I couldn't ever figure out how to get xvidcap to work properly.

If you have the gstreamer tools installed, you can capture video from
the command line. [0] For example, to encode your X display to an Ogg
theora video at 5 frames per second.

'gst-launch ximagesrc ! video/x-raw-rgb,framerate=5/1 ! ffmpegcolorspace
! theoraenc ! oggmux ! filesink location=desktop.ogg'

NO matter how you do it I think you'll have to record an audio track
later and merge it. Maybe some of the info on the ubuntu wiki [1] will
be helpful.

If you were looking for screenshosts, I'd say check out Shutter. [2]

[0]
http://www.gstreamer.net/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-good-plugins/html/gst-plugins-good-plugins-ximagesrc.html
[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScreenCasts/
[2] http://shutter-project.org/