[ale] OT: has anyone on the list tried out one of the chinese 7" netbooks that ebay is being flooded with yet?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sat Jun 5 13:22:03 EDT 2010

On 06/05/2010 12:53 PM, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> Well, of course it is not a work horse.  I have been looking at the
> tablet things for a while.  I am thinking if they have a terminal and
> ssh they make a pretty good tool for the admin.  Sadly I am told the
> Ipad does not have a terminal built in and you have to hack it and that
> is not reliable yet.
>
> What about android?  Will that give you network access w/terms and ssh?

I don't think I'd want to bash on the onscreen keyboard of a 7" tablet
for very long.

The trouble with all the android tablets is that google does not allow
them to access the android market. Only phones are allowed to do that.
Thus installing new software may be challenging.

Any time I've seen devices like these mentioned on engadget it's a case
of 'you get what you pay for'. Personally I'd love to play with one of
the $100-$200 android tablets coming out of the Asian market, but I
wouldn't pay that price unless I could return it.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts