[ale] TFTP in ubuntu-9.04 -- a well-worn path

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 4 17:32:17 EDT 2010

ALErs -

After a few tries I had 'tftpd' service running under 'xinetd' on my
Ubuntu-9.04 system yesterday. I posted a somewhat puzzling note to ALE
concerning firewall issues I thought I saw.

Still running this morning...

Then I accepted a set up updates without really thinking about it, which
ultimately invoked a reboot which I duly approved.

I can no longer get 'tftp' service from my system, neither locally nor to
outside clients, with or without the firewall running.

I used instructions such as those at:
[http://www.davidsudjiman.info/2006/03/27/installing-and-setting-tftpd-in-ubuntu/]
and similar sites to get going, but there must be some subtleties I missed.

The reason I suspect the update is that I couldn't find any file
'/etc/xinetd.d/tftp' afterward, but I'm pretty sure I had set one up
yesterday.

I ran 'netstat -l' and don't see anything listening on port 69.

How can I get this working?

TIA.

  - Mills