[ale] OT: Roku

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Jun 4 11:12:20 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 09:29 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> for a very long time I've had issue with iceweasel taking too long to
> load. I
> thought it was just overloaded with cruft... so I started using
> Chrome. I am
> beginning to think it was partly cruft, and partly DNS.. I have
> changed
> my /etc/resolv.conf & interfaces files to show opendns servers FIRST.
> i even
> signed up for the free opendns account & added my static IP. SO FAR,
> everything seems fine.... I keep telling my wife to leave the browser
> open &
> minimized, yet she keeps closing it, and crying when it takes 5
> seconds to
> load the home page.

I've thought about using bind in caching mode on my desktop then
configure the router to send out my address as the DNS on the network.
Maybe that will make things even faster.

To me, if slow DNS queries is really what causes the Roku to fail then I
would consider that a problem in the protocol that needs to be fixed.
The only thing I can think of is that every few blocks the roku sends a
request for more blocks and this is done for load balancing.  MAybe I
get some blocks from server A then B, C, etc...