[ale] OT: Roku

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Jun 4 08:56:31 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 05:45 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> those numbers look real familiar.. I use them too. they are opendns servers:
> http://www.opendns.com/start/
> look at the bottom right hand side of the web page..

I've tried them on my Ubuntu box and they are definitely faster than
what Atlantic Nexus is providing but I'm not sure how this will affect
streaming.   I'm not sure how the streaming protocol works but I can not
imagine the Roku constantly needing to resolve names to communicate back
to  Amazon or Netflix.  I guess I should create a mirror port on my
Cisco switch and use wireshark to see how many DNS queries the box is
sending.