[ale] Sound not working in Jaunty

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Jul 30 11:29:25 EDT 2010

On 07/29/2010 09:16 PM, James Sumners wrote:
> Ugh, I hate ALSA. The Open Sound System just worked, despite its cruftyness.
>
> Do you really need the VIA card? If you prevent the VIA module from
> Live.
>
> See http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModuleBlacklisting for information on
> how to prevent the VIA module from loading. Unless Ubuntu changed
> that, too.

I agree, OSS was easier to get working.  The VIA isn't a card, it's the
built in that no one reliably supports.  (Or did).  I happened across
the Preferences->Sound->Hardware tab that actually let me disable the
VIA device and when I did, the audio magically started working.  I'm amazed!

Thanks,
Jim.