[ale] Verizon Wireless IP

Terry Bailey terry at bitlinx.com
Wed Jul 28 09:49:05 EDT 2010

Hi,

Just for the heck of it, I asked Verizon if it would be possible to
obtain a static IP address for a netbook.  They said "yes" and that
it would cost $500.  I suspect they got their IPs for free and it
seems that they have a least one class A domain. In addition, I
suspect that they may have multiple class As. To me, this seems to be
border line immoral.  Is there a rational for this other than
greed?  I know that version 4 IPs are becoming less available, but
version 6 is just around the corner.

I keep remembering that much of The Internet was made more useful by
lowly graduate students making pittance.

Terry Bailey