[ale] Ubuntu Netbook Remix

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 16:54:37 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 6:09 AM, Van Loggins <vanloggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently acquired a Acer Aspire One Netbook, and decided to try Ubuntu
> 10.04 Netbook Remix on it.
>
> I wanted to ask if anyone else on the list has used the netbook remix
> version of Ubuntu and what your opinion is on it.

I'm had my netbook for about a year and have been using UNR for pretty
much the whole time.  I think it is a great interface for a netbook.
My desktop runs KDE, and I'm not a big GNOME fan, but I love UNR (and
dislike KNR, the KDE Netbook Remix).

On a netbook I pretty much always want full screen windows.  I think
UNR does a nice job of putting just a bare minimum of information at
the top of the screen so that I can see what else is running.  I can
use the mouse or ALT-Tab to switch apps.

I think the main launcher is pretty good with a reasonable
categorization of the apps plus an easy way to put apps on the
"Favorites" screen.

I think the file manager could use some improvement, especially as
relates to removable drives, but no one in my house uses files much on
a netbook.

We use our netbook primarily for web-browsing, including email via a
web-mail client.  That includes you-tube and flash games.  sometimes
we look at photos on it.  Other uses are skype, and sometimes I'll use
it as an SSH client, or some wacky thing like that.

Everyone in my family uses it w/o trouble--me, wife, and two girls, 10
and 15.  I wish I'd set up my Mom's computer with URN instead of
KDE--I think is is a great UI for a limited use or user of a computer.

Michael