[ale] Planned obsolescence / Computers for Schools

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Sat Jul 24 10:12:29 EDT 2010

  Yeah, been there and done that
(http://www.topix.com/forum/tech/TEAE7L1FJH39QA2OS -
http://www.inmantechnologyfoundation.org/student/thinClient.html), along
with Jim Kinney, Aaron Ruschetta, the fine folks from Brandon Elementary
who pushed the issue in the first place and demonstrated how it could be
done, and a particularly effective and great-to-work-with APS contractor
employee.

The problem here is that whereas piles of diskless discarded PCs do seem
like ready-made thin clients, they're also albatrosses in that each one
still needs a free-standing monitor and the space they take up and the
noise from CPU and PS fans make them a real classroom nuisance if you
get more than about four in a room.  Of course, there's still the server
back-end that has to be put up regardless and the tech expertise to lay
in the software and the network configuration properly.  Furthermore,
schools have to have the cabling available to make this work (we were
lucky - thanks in part to PTA/PTO largesse, we were able to walk into
schools that were fully and in some cases newly wired.)

When we tried to bid to finish the job throughout the school district,
we were preparing to develop the industrial capacity to assemble and
deploy on the order of 15,000-25,000 thin clients - diskless, fanless
units screwed to the back of LCD monitors, with an app server for every
200-250 thin clients and one file server per school.