[ale] man man

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 19:45:47 EDT 2010

I meant to set whatever environment variables you want set. So, if you
were to set "PAGER=less" in `/etc/skel/.bashrc` then every _new_ user
on the system would have that environment variable set for their own
account. But it would be set in such a way that they could remove it
easily; that is, revert to the distribution's defaults, instead of
yours, by simply editing their `~/.bashrc` file. You could also make
the suggestion, without actually setting it, by adding the following
lines to `/etc/skel/.bashrc` instead:

-----

# I think you would like to less as your pager.
# Give it a shot by uncommenting the next line.
# PAGER=less ; export PAGER

-----

I was suggesting this method in response to the suggestion that system
wide config files in `/etc/` be changed. Doing that would make it more
complicated for the user. The user wouldn't have any hints as to why
his environment is different from what he expected.