[ale] Free, trustworthy, anti-virus software

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Jul 22 18:53:21 EDT 2010

Michael Trausch wrote:

> Right... but what svcs are you runnning that you'd need to FW on a
> pubnet? I guess I just don't get it; I run such things on 127.0.0.0/24
> <http://127.0.0.0/24> if needed.

I also use the laptop on the home network and have such things as vnc,
ssh, even ftp, etc. open for convenience.  I suppose I could turn off
those services, if I could remember which ones I had running.  Having a
firewall on is simpler.  As Greg mentioned I do like the messages that
pop up when an unknown program is trying to access the internet.  Also
like him, I don't recall anything suspicious going on, but I don't do
things with Windows that would easily open me up.  Don't run Outlook or
IE, don't download games, etc.

Jim.