[ale] droid bricks if mod'ed

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Fri Jul 16 08:06:18 EDT 2010

If you pry we fry reminds me of a support job I had years ago.

Many of the software customers we had were ...um... forgetful about
paying their support bills on time.   The company had intentionally
embedded expiration dates in the code.  If your support was up to date
you'd continue operating but if it wasn't eventually you'd hit the
expiration and get a nasty error code.  Most of us in support knew what
the error meant.  However, one night I had a site call with the error
code that wasn't on our dunning list.   After digging into it I realized
that the site actually had a real error that generated the same code as
the expiration date - something I hadn't seen in a year of working
there.

p.s. Don't tell me it's illegal or unethical - at some point the company
dropped the expiration date practice and the company is long gone now
anyway.