[ale] Odd network setup w/ iptables NAT routing

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 08:35:27 EDT 2010

I understood your situation to be that you have two external
connections coming into the firewall 24/7. That is, DSL on eth0 and T1
on eth1 (or whatever, I've never dealt with a T1). I thought the
"manual" part was all done at a keyboard. Now I understand that you
have to unplug the DSL connection from the firewall and plug in the
T1? If that's the case, well, I don't know what to suggest in regard
to the two networks.

I assume you're just power cycling the AT&T modem? I'm fairly positive
that you will not be able to power cycle that thing remotely. I'd be
shocked if AT&T offers anything that useful. You might look into a PCI
modem[1]. Then you can remotely take the interface down and bring it
back up via your dial-up connection.

[1] -- http://www.google.com/products?q=pci+dsl+modem