[ale] [OT] The Marketing Deluded Consumer Society Explained

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 11:54:03 EDT 2010

  On 07/13/2010 11:43 AM, Larry Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com
> <mailto:jim.kinney at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     that was hysterical!!!
>
>     On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Michael Hirsch
>     <mdhirsch at gmail.com <mailto:mdhirsch at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:40 PM, Aaron Ruscetta
>         <arxaaron at gmail.com <mailto:arxaaron at gmail.com>> wrote:
>         >  iPhone  vs  HTC  Evo Android
>         >
>         > Also, may be too true to be funny.
>         >
>         > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg
>
>         No, that was so true it was hilarious.  I laughed till I cried.
>
>         Michael

> It's absolutely true (and hilarious).  But phones aren't the worst
> arena where the marketing stupidity kicks in.  As a cyclist I watch
> people become convinced that their weekend and evening cycling
> (requires that they be equipped for the Tour De France.  About three
> years ago I did the MAAC's One Love Century (hundred mile bike ride)
> and wound up partnering with a guy who spent the last 20 miles of the
> ride trying to convince me that the reason I was struggling was that
> my $1000 road bike was inadequate, and that I should have a $5000 bike
> with a $400 wheelset like his.  I tried to explain as gently as I
> could, that no, it was because I was (at that time) 57 years old, had
> already ridden 80 miles, and the temperature had reached 103 degrees.
> I expected to struggle, and having the latest in carbon fiber
> technology would only have helped me marginally.
>
> Larry

Years back, I had a strong interest in photography and even worked in a
camera store for a few months. We were constantly seeing customers who
wouldn't be satisfied unless they had the most expensive camera. The
same people wouldn't spend $40 on a photography course that would teach
them the basics of composing a shot. In those years, the most creative
pictures I saw were taken by a hobbyist who was using a pinhole camera
that scrolled strips of 10 in. film. He built the whole rig himself.