[ale] Request to Reduce Off Topic Posts

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Mon Jul 12 19:24:28 EDT 2010

Random opinion from the Leopard Skin Room....

Aaron has a good point and as much as I don't mind the OT posts (and
will not criticize them) as not long ago I had to automatically move all
my ALE inbound mail to a sub-folder to get it out of the mainstream of
my inbox.  This has made me fall way behind on mailings and likely
miss-out on a lot of great tips and insight on *nix as I don't read them
as frequent as I used to.  When I first started in the group it was
pretty easy to keep-up with it all but now with the OT content it got
too much for me.

I'm "Mr. Nobody" around here but that's how a noob to this group has
been handling the volume of OT mailings (who gets all of this on his
desktop and not on a mobile).

One the that I DO WANT TO SAY...is that ALE IS THE FINEST GROUP to
associate with when it comes to learning or seeing help with *nix issues
BAR-NONE IMHO.  When I first made the switch to Ubuntu last fall I
quickly got involved with their forums for support and learning.  I had
some really nagging issues that were NEVER addressed by anyone -- but my
own learning on/off-line made it possible for me to start answering
users who were having issues that a Level I type could answer (which I
did).  Through ALE I was encouraged to try Fedora (which I had tried
long ago but had issues with...) and found it a great fit for me today!
The few issues that I've run into have ALWAYS been kindly answered both
in the Fedora Forum and by ALE members.

I'm in Linux to stay and have washed my hands of M$ on my personal
systems.  I'm eying Linux certification and moving from M$ admin to a
more *nix-centric career path.  For that reason I'm planning on being
with this group for the long-haul...OT or not I'll stick it out for the
good stuff...but I for one humbly wouldn't mind seeing less OT material.

Thanks to all!  Cheers!!   Rich in Lilburn