[ale] Request to Reduce Off Topic Posts

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 16:38:51 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 4:28 PM, scott <scott at sboss.net> wrote:

> Larry Johnson wrote:
> > 1) try to keep it to off work hours and
>
> we would have to define "work hours".  Mine right now are 2am->11am.
> Some weeks it is noon->9pm, or 8pm->6am, or sometimes 7am-4pm/8am-5pm.
> And I know I am not the only one that doesnt work 8-5.
>
> > 2) if you don't obey rule number 1 at least keep it to no more than
> normal water fountain sports conversation
>
> I am not sure what "normal water fountain sports conversation" is.

Two things .  My hours are currently weird also.  The "work hours" referred
to the time the person was officially scheduled to work.  So if the entire
crew was scheduled to work from 8 to 6,  4 would be a work hour.  7 would
not.

As for the "water fountain" it's a euphemism for people gathering in the
hallway and and discussing the outcome of a sports event.  I've worked in
half a dozen different industries over the past 42 years of my worklife, and
in every workplace in every one of those industries some percentage of time
was spent bantering about nonsense (sports is just the most common).

Larry
--
"I see design standards that don't tell you how to come up with a good
design (only how to write it down), employee evaluation standards that don't

                                     Tom DeMarco
                                      Slack