[ale] And now, on topic - laptop hardware recommendations

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Mon Jul 12 09:46:03 EDT 2010

Snip

>         I would recommend Dell laptop, I know to most that might be
>         evil, but
>         with the back-to-school special coming up, the prices are in
>         that
>         range, plus so far on the hardware side I have better lunch
>         with them
>         than other brands. I know that weird to say.
>
>         Dunno much about netbooks, since I am MacHead  I am still
>         debating a
>         netbook or iPad.

More specific,  I have had nothing but good runs with Dell laptops, but
the business lines, Vostros.  Designed with the small business owner (no
dock station built for it vs large business lines which you can dock).
Built with a titanium ring surrounding the sides of the Vostros to
prevent twisting warping the MB as you carry it around,  encapsulated
keyboard to protect against spilling, they are built to a higher level
of specs then the low end consumer laptops.  Last I checked, you could
buy a 17 inch Vostro for $500-600 on sale.

Nice keyboard layout, easy to type on and use the mousepad.  Just a good
design.

I would suggest anybody to not buy consumer grade and stick to business
grade, they just make them a bit better (all the OEMs do, just don't
know about HP personally).

There is also a "Linux on Dell" email list sponsored by Dell and
somewhere on their  websites is even a "Linux on Dell" wiki or howto
with steps by steps to get bios updated, and wireless working.
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Repository/community

Snip

--
Damon