[ale] And now, on topic - laptop hardware recommendations

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 09:13:34 EDT 2010

Check microcenter specials. I grabbed a nice Acer for <$500 and Fedora
installed with no weirdness. I also grabbed a refurbished Toshiba (has an
external SATA port) and Fedora choked on the wireless. Bought a different
mini wireless and dropped it in and have been happy every since. Acer also
has the larger screen netbook which also has a slightly larger keyboard (I
think).

The Duluth MicroCenter gave me no hassles when I showed up with a live CD to
test their laptops with. In fact one of the managers came over to see my
progress and took note that Toshiba model ran Linux well.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com>wrote:

> My dad just had a mobo failure on his Acer One netbook and is looking
> for a replacement. It has to have Linux friendly components, of
> course, but other than that nothing is sacred but price. It could be
> anywhere between a netbook and a 15". Goal is to spend <$300 for a
> netbook or <$500 for a laptop.
>
> What brands do you trust?
>
> Which do you avoid?
>
> Are there any deals you would like to take advantage of this week?
>
> Are there any local deals worth me picking up for him?
>
> --
> Sent from my mobile device
>
> .!# RichardBronosky #!.

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

  Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
    Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992