[ale] poll: WRT54G 3rd-party firmware for wireless bridge

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Sun Jul 11 18:41:46 EDT 2010

Hi!

My Linksys WRT54G was, I think, acting a bit iffy after a few good
years of service---The wireless would become unusable about three
times a week.

I replaced it with an Apple Airport Extreme, but now the Linksys
wireless card in my basement PC running Linux can't get on the
wireless.

The occasional outages wouldn't bother me if I used the WRT54G
as a bridge, accessing the Airport Extreme's wireless and providing
its four wired network ports to my basement equipment.

In other words,

  Comcast cable => modem => Airport Extreme => cloud
  cloud => MacBooks, Tivo, etc.
  cloud => WRT54G => (cat 6) debian PC, HP network laser printer

Googling led me to hyperwrt firmware links that were dead.  I've
heard a lot of talk about Tomato, etc., but anybody who has done
what I aim to do with a 3rd-party WRT54G firmware, please speak
up!

Thanks.

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>